How to take PrEP
You're getting PrEP, let's learn how to take PrEP pill, which way to take PrEP suits you best.
How to take PrEP
First of all, there are so many ways to take PrEP, how you take PrEP depends on
1. How often do you have sex
2. Do you plan to have sex well in advance?
Clinical Practice Guideline of the United States (since 2013) and HIV prevention Guidelines of Thailand (since 2014) provided comprehensive information which suggests us to use daily oral PrEP to reduce the risk of acquiring HIV infection in adults.
Our advice around PrEP is based on the results of 2 European studies. The 2 studies looked at different ways of taking the prevention.
1. PROUD Study1 DAILY DOSE
How to take PrEP daily
- Take leading dose of PrEP once a day every day ideally same time a day for 7 days (without condomless sex) to provide enough protection level in the rectal tissue (for anal sex) and in vaginal tissue (for vaginal sex - if you have one)
- You can take it with or without food.
- Take one pill once a day
- If you miss one or two pill once a while, don't freak out! you still have enough protection.
- No one taking the Truvada correctly caught HIV in this study.
- This is the officially recommended way to take PrEP since 2013!!
- This is how PULSE clinic recommends guys, girls and transgirl who have sex often to take PrEP for their protection.
But some people don't have sex very often, they feel once a day everyday is too much and PrEP in western countries is very expensive (that's why they come to get PrEP at PULSE) here comes PrEP on demand.
2. Taking PrEP ON DEMAND (2+1+1) IPERGAY Study2
– Take 2 Truvada pills between 2-24 hours BEFORE sex. Then take one Truvada pill every day until 2 days have passed after the last time you had sex.
- This regimen is for ANAL SEX ONLY, and not recommended for vaginal sex.
- This method is also called 2+1+1 or On-Demand PrEP, it's good for you if you know you might have sex 24 hours in advance:
How to take PrEP on demand
- take 2 PrEP pills 2 – 24 hours before sex
- take 1 PrEP pill 24 hours after the first dose
- take 1 more PrEP pill 24 hours after that
- Continue taking PrEP until you have taken 2 doses after your last sex.
Remember, i’s really important not to miss any doses.
If you’re having sex for more days, perhaps over a few days or a weekend, continue to take ONE pill every 24 hours until you have 2 days without sex.
NOTE: Not recommended for gay people who enjoy chemsex or do not plan to have sex very well, because there are already evidences that many people forget to take the third and the forth pill.
I have my prescription and I want to order now, TAKE ME THERE !
3. SEASONAL PrEP or PrEP Holiday
Imagine when you go on business trip or holiday, you meet more people, you let yourself go a little bit and you have more chances to have fun which also means more risks, or when you are going to
- travel to a country with a high HIV prevalence like Thailand, Phillipines, South Africa, etc.
- have an increased number of partners that you don't know their HIV status
- have more sex with HIV negative partners but you don't know for sure if they aere taking PrEP.
- have more sex with the HIV positive partners that you don't know for sure if they are undetectable
- use less condoms
- might not be able to remember to use condom (drunk, or other reasons)
- party hard and substances might be involved during sex (chemfun or chemsex)
Seasonal PrEP would be good for your protection and this is how to take PrEP seasonally
- take PrEP one pill once a day for 7 days without condomless sex! STRICTLY!
- take one pill once a day during the high risk season (cruise trips, circuit festivals or pride months)
- take one pill once a day after the period.
Where Can I Get PrEP?
1. GETTING PrEP ONLINE
We have been helping people getting PrEP easily since 2015. Thousands of people worldwide are protected from HIV and the number of new HIV infections are reducing. Let's live our lives with let worries and give HIV an end! The beginning of new life starts now with PULSE clinic's PrEP online department special service. Just click on the photo below and let us take you to the PrEP online client portal.
BUY PrEP ONLINE ORDER FORM
2. GETTING PrEP AT PULSE CLINICS
PULSE Clinic Silom Bangkok email@example.com
PULSE Clinic Nana Bangkok firstname.lastname@example.org
PULSE Clinic Patong Beach, Phuket email@example.com
PULSE Clinic Sukhumvit 37, Bangkok (Open March 2021)
PULSE Clinic Airport Link Phayathai, Bangkok (Open April 2021)
EU Clinic – Executive Health Asoke, Bangkok (Coming soon)
EU Clinic – Executive Health Ploenchit, Bangkok (Coming soon)
PULSE Clinic Central, Hong Kong firstname.lastname@example.org
1.McCormack S, Dunn D. Pragmatic Open-Label Randomised Trial of Preexposure Prophylaxis: The PROUD Study. CROI 2015; Seattle, Washington, 2015.
2.Molina J, Capitant C, Spire B, Pialoux G, Chidiac C, Charreau I, et al., editors. On demand PrEP with oral TDF-FTC in MSM: results of the ANRS Ipergay trial. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections
Add us on Line and stay in touch.